Chief Executive Officer
João Garcia da Fonseca
- Founder and CEO of biosurfit (2006);
- Strong scientific background, multiple publications in top peer-reviewed journals of applied physics, author of more than 21 patents related to the spinit® technology;
- Recognised for his work with various awards, notably Portuguese Young Entrepreneur of the Year in 2007;
- Previously founder and CEO of LCT, a start-up company developing technologies for bi-stable liquid crystal displays;
- PhD in Physics Engineering, Louis Pasteur University, Strasbourg; Degree in Physics Engineering from Technical University of Lisbon.
Ian Gilham, PhD
- Chairman of biosurfit since March 2013;
- 30+ year healthcare industry career encompassing all aspects of company growth and development - significant expertise in the fields of pharmaceuticals and clinical diagnostics;
- Formerly CEO of LSE-listed IVD company, Axis-Shield plc, a world-leader in Point of Care Testing -sold to Alere in 2011 for £235m. Senior general management, marketing, BD and R&D positions with GSK, Abbott, Celltech & Amersham;
- Currently non-executive Chairman of AIM-listed Genedrive plc (UK), Horizon Discovery Group plc (UK) and Multiplicom NV (NL).
Chief Marketing Officer
Daniel Neves, MBA
- CMO since 2009;
- 7+ years in the PoC diagnostic industry; 15+ years of experience in general management, finance, fund raising, business development and marketing;
- Formerly General Manager of forum B2B; several key senior positions in the management team of Logica South America (Logica plc, UK). Management consultancy work in sectors such as Utilities, Telecom and Healthcare;
- International MBA from IE Business School (Dean’s class) and a science degree in Applied Mathematics from the University of Lisbon.
Senior Manager, R&D
Nuno Reis, PhD
- Co-founder of biosurfit. Joined the company full time in 2007 as Project Manager and acted as Chief Operating Officer from 2009 to 2014;
- Inventor or co-inventor of more than 12 patents protecting different aspects of biosurfit’s product portfolio. Raised over 3 M€ from different R&D projects funded through EU-FP7, H2020 and OEM activities;
- Previously Professor of Biomechanics at Universidade da Beira Interior (Portugal) and Research Associate at the Manchester Materials Science Centre (UK). Author of more than 30 peer-reviewed scientific publications with an h-index of 16;
- Ph.D. in Materials Science from the University of Oxford and Engineering degree from the Technical University of Lisbon.